Health and Safety ManagerJanuary 24, 2023
- Working Hours: Monday to Friday – 40 hours
- This role is split between our Staffordshire and Ellsemere Port offices.
- This position reports to: Directors
We appreciate that not every candidate will meet all of our skills and qualifications. If you feel that you don’t meet all of the skills and qualifications, but you feel you could add value to the role and our Company, then we would love to hear from you, so please apply!
- Responsible for implementing, monitoring and developing Company health, safety and environmental operations and tasks at both offices and client sites.
- To be the primary contact for employees and managers concerning safety-related matters, is responsible for the application of the Company Health, Safety, & Environmental (HSE) systems and is accountable for the Company’s CDM Principal Designer and Principal Contractor compliance. This includes but is not limited to: risk assessment and management activities, managing the internal permit to work system, client site audits, CDM compliance, applicable report writing, industrial HSE compliance auditing, HSE training, HSE system development, incident investigation and data trending and analysis.
- To work alongside and support the Quality Manager.
- To provide resources and information to Company employees and management as needed.
- Provide/direct company-wide training on all relevant HSE related topics.
- Ensure risk assessments and safe systems of work are developed, monitored and embedded for workshop activities.
- Conduct HSE audits in accordance with Company Audit and Inspection plans, designed to measure the level of compliance with both legislative and Company requirements.
- Manage all HSE Audits with the support from the QHSE Officer.
- Ensure that all findings from audits and inspections are communicated, actioned and closed to the required level, i.e. by updating Company procedures, providing direct feedback to the functional Director/Manager, toolbox talks/staff briefings etc.
- Carry out in-house training sessions and toolbox talks.
- Manage the HSE team to increase awareness of health and safety issues across the company and encourage staff engagement.
- Support Client projects with the production of documentation to ensure compliance with CDM regulations
- Conduct site audits and inspections of Orbital activities.
- Work in close partnership with all managers to ensure a safe and environmentally sound working environment across the Orbital business, providing support and guidance as necessary.
- Ensure correct recording and monitoring on all Accident and Incident reports received, carrying out the necessary level of investigation and review of findings with the Directors, producing associated reports as required. Undertake routine low-level health surveillance checks as and when required.
- Manage the HSE Officer including supporting and mentoring in areas which development is required.
- Review of all HSE Documentation in line with both legislative and Company requirements.
- Pro-actively ensure continuing professional development, attendance at networking/educational forums and regular review of industry updates to ensure full readiness and legal compliance
- Conduct any other ad-hoc duties within your skill-set as required and instructed by your line manager.
- Represent Orbital at Client meetings to provide safety advice and support
- Proven track record in HSE Management and QHSE Management standards (14001, BS OHSAS18001/45001, Achilles UVDB Verify)
- NEBOSH diploma or equivalent (equivalent formal qualification for Environmental also desired, ditto for Quality)
- Experience with and Knowledge of current CDM (Construction Design Management Regulations) regulations
- Experience with and knowledge of Achilles accreditation and auditing
- Auditor qualification and experience including Client site works inspections/audits including CDM, and major gas infrastructure owners/providers requirements.
- Experience in performing audits/assessments as above of sub-contractors/suppliers.
- Broad knowledge of Health and Safety and Environmental legislation and Guides/Standards, also Quality Standards practices & techniques.
- Experience of handling 3rd party and customer (& their agents) auditors.
- Experience of conducting ‘tender and in-contract’ HSE activities in a pressured environment.
- Experience in generation & checking of management procedures, risk assessments (+ reviewing & utilising method statement detail), COSHH assessments in a pressured environment.
- Experience in Design, Manufacture, Installation and service industry.
- Management of Improvement programs & various improvement activities/techniques
- Develop and deliver Toolbox talks and relevant training.
- Experience of undertaking Accident/Incident investigations and production of associated reports
- Able to communicate and interact across all levels.
Note: Dependent upon Client contract requirements the project experience below may become mandatory, but the number of years could vary
- At least 10 years’ experience in QHSE in the Oil and Gas industry or equivalent.
- At least 5 years’ experience of Project working with major gas infrastructure owners/providers – National Grid/SGN/Wales & West + Costain, Cadent etc.