- Working Hours: Monday to Friday, 9:00am – 5:00pm (37.5 hours p/w)
- This role is predominantly based in the Orbital office. Visits to client premises/sites may be frequent and could involve overnight stays, typically 3-4 days per month.
- This position reports to: Project Delivery Manager
The role of the Project Engineer is to liaise between the Project Manager, the Design technical disciplines involved in a project and the Production Manager. The Project Engineer is also the primary technical point of contact for the customer and will ensure Projects are completed according to the agreed customer timescales, quality requirements, commercial requirements and technical specification. The Project Engineer may also take on the role of Project Manager and/or technical engineer for smaller projects, taking responsibility for the entire project with the support of senior engineers as needed.
- Taking ownership and managing the technical aspects of one or more projects delivering a variety of products and services offered by Orbital through design, manufacture, test, install, commissioning and Client sign-off
- Ensuring robust project lifecycle plans and quality plans are prepared, enforced and updated.
- Ensuring all project deliverables are produced on time to meet the standard required by Orbital and the Client
- Supporting and working with the Client and Project Managers to ensure robust Change Control is maintained throughout the project lifecycle
- Supporting the Client and Project Manager by capturing and monitoring project Risks & Issues and Lessons Learned and maintaining the relevant Logs
- Participating in and chairing progress meetings within Orbital and with the Client
- Liaising with relevant Orbital departments to progress design, manufacture, FAT and implementation
- Liaising with the Client to progress approval of RAMS, identification of any site-specific training requirements, agreeing site access times and ensuring Permit requirements are met
- Leading site works including sub-contractor management, implementation and commissioning if required for a project
- Taking responsibility for the technical, time, cost and quality aspects of a project
- Design work and support in design work appropriate to knowledge base/ capabilities.
- Providing support to the Sales office both technically and for planning and costing new project enquiries
- Supporting the activities of the Head of Engineering and Projects, Project Delivery Managers, Project Managers and Lead Engineers
- HND/Degree or equivalent or significant experience in an Engineering discipline
- Clear understanding of safe working practices in or around hazardous areas
- Robust commercial and business acumen
- Experience of leadership
- Excellent verbal and written communication skills
- Knowledge of process control principles.
- Ability to multi-task, running multiple projects/deliverables concurrently
- Comfortable working with customers, suppliers and internal/external stakeholders
- Whilst each project engineer will be allocated projects that align with their core engineering specialism (EC&I, Mechanical, Process, Chemical), the Project Engineer should have a broad knowledge base and thrive on the chance to engage with other disciplines and extend their own knowledge with the aim of taking more scope on future projects
- 5 years’ experience working in a structured project engineering environment.
- Experience working in the oil and gas industry ideally for UK gas suppliers / transporters.
- Knowledge of National Grid G17 / G35, SGN PS6 and/or GL5 Design Processes.