- Working Hours: Monday to Friday 9am to 5pm (37.5 hours per week)
- This role is predominantly based in the Orbital office. Visits to client premises/sites will be infrequent but could involve overnight stays.
- This position reports to: Head of Engineering and Projects
- Take ownership of the Control & Instrumentation elements of project design packages.
- Produce design packs to client specifications and subsequent modifications within the allocated hours provided for the project.
- Responsible for development of C&I design packages for Orbital projects.
- Translate User Requirements Specification into Functional Design Specification for Orbital projects.
- Produce Conceptual Design documentation and take through to detailed design, data sheets and manufacturing support information.
- Create material specifications (Bill of Materials) for Procurement to source and purchase.
- Undertake value engineering activities to address cost or design performance of the solution designs.
- Effectively maintain design records in line with the Orbital QA system.
- Producing the factory acceptance test documentation, installation support information and commissioning documentation.
- Liaise with various disciplines including, Mechanical, Process, Software and CAD in respect to design interface.
- Attend meetings with the client with respect to design reviews and progress updates in support of the project manager.
- Have an attention to detail including closely monitoring project schedule and costs to identify ways to reduce costs
- Prepare documentation for Formal Safety Assessments and for O&M manuals.
- Peer review the designs of fellow Engineers.
- Participate in Design Working Groups to enhance the design standards within the department.
- Liaison with suppliers with respect to confirming the specification and equipment performance parameters, and where necessary outline costs for said equipment.
- Monitor budgeted hours for design work and report back to the Project Manager on progress, any issues and any potential overspend.
- You must possess a minimum of HNC/HND in Control or Instrumentation Engineering/Electrical or Electronic Engineering, or an associated discipline.
- Knowledge and experience of the design life cycle of a project.
- Experience working in a structured design engineering environment.
- Experience of producing designs for the gas distribution or transmission networks, oil and gas or petrochemical industries.
- Previous experience of producing Electrical or Control & Instrumentation designs for hazardous area applications would be desirable although we would consider applications from individuals who have a working knowledge of ATEX regulations.
- Good communication skills both written and verbal ensuring you communicate well with your colleagues and the customers.
- BEng in Control and Instrumentation or Electronic and Engineering.
- Experience of the gas network formal design processes such as IGEM GL5 or National Grid G35, Cadent/NGN G17, SGN PS6 design processes.
- Familiarisation with Gas Network Design Standards / Specifications.
- Experience in gas measurement, gas or liquid metering systems, gas sampling systems or gas analysers.